Monday, September 8, 2008

Youth football, Treasure Coast Football Conference Southern Division of Pop Warner & South Florida Youth Football League

Football season is here again, I covered my first two games today.
The Jupiter Maroon vs Lake Park Sharks Junior Pee Wee youth football of the Treasure Coast Football Conference Southern Division and the Western Tigers vs Boynton Beach Bulldogs 165lb of the South Florida Youth Football on Saturday 9-6-08. I contacted the Sun-Sentinel, Palm Beach Post, HomeTown News, The Weekday and the Jupiter Courier.

As a freelance photographer I tend to first go after news publications in an attempt to sell them photos and try to get the leagues some press coverage. And then I try to go after the parents to see if there's any interest from them.

It is becoming more and more difficult to sell freelance photos to news publications. Because of their cutbacks and limited budget they are tending to buy less and less photos. The Sun-Sentinel no longer has a youth football section, HomeTown News no longer covers Northern Palm Beach County. The Palm Beach Post’s Neighborhood News covering Jupiter and the Jupiter Courier wanted to use my photos for free and the Weekday never returned my phone call.

The other typical aspect is trying to get a roster of the teams. The first game I was fortunate enough to get rosters although one team was missing several numbers of players. In the second game I couldn't get rosters for either team, although I was told they would e-mail it to me the next day. That worked out because once again I was told The Sun-Sentinel no longer has a youth football on the south end of Palm Beach County either and the Boynton Beach Forum never returned my phone call. One team did eventually send me the email of their roster but not the other team.

Ideally what you would like to have is the play a touchdown, fumble, an interception, or just something different and be able to see the motions in their eyes.

I have attached a links to the photos from the games.

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/ThumbPage.aspx?e=4078718&s=0

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/thumbpage.aspx?e=4085893


The Jupiter Maroon’s Brandon Murphy Scores a fourth-quarter touchdown against the Lake Park Sharks in a Pop Warner Treasure Coast Football Conference Southern Division Junior Pee Wee game in Lake Park, FL.

No comments: